The historic Royal Burgh of Kinghorn lies on the golden coastline of the Kingdom of Fife. Its picturesque sheltered bay and beach nestles below the hillsides that once provided the town with its water and, when local industry developed, the source of power to drive the machinery of the flax mills.
The meaning of the name Kinghorn, or Kin-
It was to Kinghorn and his new, young wife that Alexander III was making his way on a dark and stormy night when his horse stumbled and he was found at the foot of the cliffs at ‘Kings Wud end’.
His grand daughter, the Maid of Norway, died on the journey to Scotland and, with no heir to the throne, Scotland was torn apart by civil war and a series of wars with England.
Built in 1826 by Thomas Hamilton on the original site of St. Leonard’s Tower. The Town Hall originally housed the Town Gaol, each of the two cells being massively fitted with iron clad doors. Conversion of the building by FHBT (with assistance from Historic Scotland) is just about complete, the roof being a fantastic work of art and the interior is now complete and the building featured in the annual Doors Open Day. The lower floor are to be offices for Fife Historic Buildings Trust and exhibition space for the Historical Society and the upper two floors will be a Holiday Flat for rent.
On 19th March, 1286 Scottish history was drastically changed when Alexander III fell to his death when his horse stumbled on a dark and stormy night on the cliffs above Kinghorn Ness near Pettycur. The Golden Age when Scotland enjoyed peace and prosperity came to an abrupt end, especially when his heir, the Maid of Norway, died shortly afterwards. The nation was now in turmoil, with 13 claimants to the throne, including Robert Bruce. The Memorial, on the road between Kinghorn and Burntisland, was erected in 1886 to Scotland’s last Celtic King, and its complex design is Victorian in style.
Kinghorn Parish Church, standing above the harbour, was largely reconstructed in 1774 with further additions in 1894 when the bell tower was added. At the east end are the remains of what is thought to be the church consecrated by David de Bernham, Bishop of St. Andrews in 1243. As with many churches built by the sea, there is a Sailor’s Aisle with the entrance to the shore, dating from 1609 and surviving from an earlier church. The hereditary lairds of Kinghorn, the Boswells of Balmuto, have been associated with the Parish for a long time. In March 1822, a relative, Sir Alexander Boswell of Auchinlect, died at Balmuto House from wounds received in a duel at Auchtertool -
Kinghorn Deeds 1682-
Church and harbour
Alexander III monument -
Part of description from Fife Coast and Countryside Trust website.
Currently the site gives details of the programme of meetings for 2012-
|Gibson Golf Clubs|
|From Celtic Origins|